Monday, April 18, 2011

Congratulations to NAO Alumnus Andrew Dunsmore

Photo credit: Cameron Ogilvie

Congratulations to Andrew Dunsmore (NAO percussion '06-'07) who recently won a position with the Montreal Symphony Orchestra! He wrote this lovely letter to Boris:


Dear Maestro Brott,

A few weeks ago Emily and I traveled to Montreal with a car full of percussion instruments. The purpose of the trip was for me to audition for the OSM. After 19 players, 5 semi-finalists and 2 rounds I was the last person standing for the 3rd and final round in their percussion audition. After what Emily assured me was an eternity of time they announced that I had won the audition and they would be hiring me for their 2011-2012 season!

I start with the orchestra in August, which could not have been better planned for us as we are getting married in July. Furthermore they are going to Edinburgh straight away, so we will enjoy a honeymoon in Paris after their brief tour of Scotland.

Thank you so much to you and the National Academy Orchestra. I learned so much about orchestral playing, repertoire and professionalism while working with the NAO - knowledge that will no doubt continue to serve me well in my new post as Section Percussion in the OSM. I often tell my colleagues what a wonderful opportunity playing in the NAO is and I will certainly continue to do so in Montreal.

Thank you so much,

Andrew