Saturday, July 31, 2010

A Letter from Jan Lisiecki

Photo credit: Andras Schram

I have performed a lot: in many different countries, concerts halls, and of course very different audiences, with different conductors and orchestras. I suppose one can say that I have some experience in what makes a concert memorable.


On July 29th, 2010 I performed with Maestro Brott and the National Academy Orchestra in Hamilton.

The concert hall was packed. What a privilege to have people take interest, to come, to spend time with us: the maestros, the orchestra, and me. It was a fantastic audience, very supportive and they were listening beautifully. This kind of public makes the concert special and it is, for sure, one of the most important factors of a good concert. I can't imagine a better silence during the concert and a more enthusiastic applause afterwards. I couldn't be more thankful for both.

Of course, the second factor of any orchestral concert is the conductor. I have the privilege to know maestro Brott for five years now. He is my mentor, my friend, and I look up to him. Performing with him is always an adventure (in a good way!) and so much fun for me. We are simply making music together, that night we enjoyed Chopin's concerto together loving every second of this composition. It was great to also work with the new generation of conductors: Genevieve Leclair and Samuel Tam, who did a wonderful job in leading the orchestra.

The third element is the orchestra. I have worked with some famous orchestras, I have worked with some great ones. I love the National Academy Orchestra. Why? When performing with the NAO I work with wonderful, fun, young people, who love music, and that have decided that music will be their professional life. They have the energy, happiness, and commitment to make the performance of all compositions, usually new to them, the best they can possibly be at the concert. It is amazing for me that they just met as a group for a number of weeks, and they can play so wonderfully, again I was filled with gratitude to all of them.

The concert is now a history, a memory. I will always remember how great the public, the maestros and the National Academy Orchestra all were that night. From the bottom of my heart - thank you all for making this concert so memorable.

--Jan

Jan performs with visiting concertmaster Robert Uchida and the National Academy Orchestra July 29, 2010
 
Jan took some time to meet with and sign autographs for many of his fans at a post-concert reception hosted by
the Polish-Canadian Women's Federation, Hamilton branch